Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Ancestry Begins

Fun in Minecraft is found in creating your own projects and backstories. By the time Minecraft exited beta testing, I had developed a firm playstyle. I was a dwarf. I built crazy underground structures, bedrooms, orgy rooms, water rooms, forge rooms, workshop rooms, libraries, paper harvesting rooms, farm rooms, mineing rooms, rooms just for the sake of having rooms. I lived underground. But what to do with all the extra cobblestone? (At one point I had 35 chests FULL of cobblestone. That's 120,960 blocks of cobblestone!). Well, when you have bricks, BUILD! And so I started building grand, large scale structures above the entrance to my dwarven domain.

Eventually, I had a fully fledged castle above me. But what's the point of having a structure if it doesn't have a backstory? This is where my Minecraft Ancestry began. I explained that each structure was completed by one generation of Minecraftians. Half the underground halls were one generation, half were the next, and the above structure was formed by 3 generations of dwarves.

Then...the real fun began. I dedicated hours to building a large, 10 room vault (each room was 25x25x5) The groudn was built on the first layer of bedrock, so you can't mine under it, and the outer walls and ceiling were made of hard-earned obsidian, 3 layers thick. Since it takes 10 seconds to obliterate a single block of obsidian, I considered it a secure vault. In this vault room, I stowed away the first tools of the first ancestor. A wooden pick, shovel, and axe. Each had been used JUST ENOUGH to get enough cobblestone and coal to begin my descent into the bowels of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment